Hello Club Members!
October was a very good month for the Charlotte Ski and Snowboard Club. Our Happy Hour and Club Meeting at the Dilworth Grill was well attended, and it was good to see lots of new faces! Ski Country Outdoors, Sun & Ski Sports, and Peter Menaker (OMARI) showed us his new leather ski jackets and shared some upcoming fashion trends for the slopes!
We had 13 members participate in the Crescent Fall Conference in Gatlinburg, TN. The Crescent Spring Convention will be held at Kingston Plantation on April 27 – 30th in Myrtle Beach, SC. Returning are the Beach Olympics and Saturday evening dance. Registration information is coming soon for early signups to reserve your ocean-view studios and condos.
We held our October Board Meeting on Tuesday, November 1st via Google Teams and covered a variety of topics. Meeting minutes can be viewed on our website under member login. Our membership has grown to 482 active members with an increase of 53 in the month of October. The Club’s financial health continues to be strong. We can always use more help, so if you wish to become more active in the Club, please contact Tom Grayson (Club President) to discuss participation opportunities on one of the Club committees.
Our next Club Meeting is on Wednesday, November 9th at 6:30 pm at the Dilworth Neighborhood Grill downstairs in the Baxter Room. The date was moved up to avoid a conflict with the Panther’s Thursday evening home game. We are having a presentation from the Club’s Race Team by John Gardner that will feature some educational video clips. Come meet some Race Team Members – it’s a fun group! We will also discuss Mountain Safety as several of our Club Members were involved in collisions on the slope this past season. Aubrie will be meeting with anybody interested in participating in day trips to our local resorts this season to determine where interest is and to meet fellow skiers and boarders!
We will be showing some highlights for the new Warren Miller Film “Daymaker”! The Club will be hosting the Charlotte Premiere of the new Warren Miller Film “Daymaker” on Thursday, November 17th at 7 pm at the Visulite Theater. Tickets are $25 each and can be purchased at the door. Or you can purchase advanced tickets and watch the trailer here. Proceeds from the movie go to support the Club Race Team!
A smorgasbord of tasty appetizers will be provided for refreshments. Please be considerate of your fellow members and guests as this is not intended as a dinner substitute. Some door prizes will be drawn at the end of the meeting. Please bring a friend! The meeting will be preceded by a Happy Hour upstairs in the bar starting at 5 pm. Please settle your bill before coming down to the meeting.
Alisa Weber led a hike at Stone Mountain in October and will lead another hike on Saturday, November 19th at Crowders Mountain State Park. This will be a scenic hike and there are several route choices. Click here for hike details and RSVP so she will know to look for you.
I’m working with the French Swiss Ski College at Appalachian Ski Mountain to offer a Learn to Ski Program that will consist of 3 to 4 clinics held on Sunday mornings at the end of November and the first couple of weeks in December. More information to follow as details are worked out.
The new Ski Season is right around the corner (some of the Western Resorts have opened early for the season) and our Trip Leaders have been busy – see the trip status below. We have a lodging contract signed with Snowshoe (WV) for the President’s Day weekend (Feb 17-20, 2023) for our Regional Trip - more info to follow. Additionally, we will be running some day trips to Sugar, Beech, and Winter Place Resorts this season depending on slope conditions. You can get group rate lift tickets from the Race Team 2 weeks prior to a Race by following their ticket sign-up procedure on the website.
Current Trip Status (trip details and registration go to CltSnow.com/trips):
December 3-10, 2022 – Crescent Steamboat Ski Improvement Camp
- We have 32 Club Members currently signed up for this trip which includes a 6-day lift and 5 full-day ski/ride lessons. They will be departing in just 26 days!
January 14-21, 2023 – Crescent Jackson Hole Trip – Charlotte Trip Leaders: Tom Grayson and Jace Gates
- Currently a few spaces are available but time to register is running out
- We have 30 Club Members currently registered for this trip
- Check with Tom or Jace if interested!
January 28 to February 4, 2023 – Winter Park Trip, Leaders: Tom Grayson, Charlie & Marcela Brown
- We have 3 spaces available (1 female single space in condos and 2 spaces available in a studio)
- We have 2 male singles on the condo waitlist
- We have 52 Club Members currently registered
- We have 10+ seats available on group air ($318 RT CLT/DEN) direct flight (seat drop date coming soon!)
- This is our best value trip of the season!
February 4-11, 2023 – Steamboat Trip, Leaders: Jace Gates, Tom Grayson
- We have 110 Club Members registered for this trip (5 on waitlist)
- This is our largest trip of the season
- We have limited group air seats available from Charlotte to Denver on American Airlines for $426 RT for another couple of weeks
- Please contact Tom or Jace if you wish to purchase a group air seat (once we drop seats, we can’t get them back)
February 17-20, 2023 – Snowshoe Trip, Leaders: Tom Grayson, Aubrie Beranek
- 3-night minimum staying at Allegheny Springs and Rimfire Lodges
- Room Block reservations will be available soon for individual reservations
- Currently in the planning stage – registration information coming soon!
February 26 to March 5, 2023 – Palisades Tahoe Trip, Leaders: Tom Grayson, Sam Pettus
- 52 Club Members are currently registered
- We have 5 condo spaces available in The Village for a limited time (condo drop date coming soon)
- We are currently seeking to add group air from Charlotte to Reno
March 11-18, 2023 – Banff Trip, Leaders: Jace Gates, Halle Bryant, Tammy Gleaton
- 89 Club Members are currently registered
- We have 1 male single space and 1 female single on the waitlist
- There has been some roster attrition, so it is not too late to sign up for the waitlist
- Limited space available at both locations – contact Jace for information (email@example.com)
I hope to see many of our local Club Members and Guests at the November 9th Meeting (Wednesday night). It should be a good one!
I have also reserved Wednesday, December 7th at the Dilworth Grill (Baxter Room) for our Holiday Meet and Greet! Please save the date!
Tom Grayson, President