The summit of Mount Rogers, Virginia’s highest peak, can be reached via a nine mile (total, out-and-back) hike starting from Grayson Highlands State Park. The 9 mile hike follows the Appalachian Trail for most of the way and crosses into Jefferson National Forest. During our hike, we will stop and have lunch at Pinnacle Rock.
Following our hike, we will meet for dinner at Southern on Maine in Elkin.
Trip capacity is sixteen. We plan to hike at a 2 to 2.5 mph pace.
Each hiker is responsible for their own costs and transportation. Carpooling details below. There is a $7 park entry fee.
Please RSVP as soon as possible as we expect this to fill quickly!
If you have any questions, please contact the event host, Pam Kain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hike starts on time!
- No dogs allowed
- Please bring proper footwear, adequate water, sunblock, hat, snacks or a pack lunch, hiking poles, bug spray, towel and change of clothing for dinner.
- Please bring rain gear! Most hikes are deep in the forest, where conditions may change rapidly. Hikes will go in the rain, unless we experience severe rain, thunder, lightening or water crossings.
- If carpooling, please provide the driver with gas money.
- Each registrant is responsible for costs of park entry and dinner.
- Please be prepared to sign a waiver of liability.
The hike begins in a rocky meadow where we are surrounded by wild ponies. Following the AT connector trail, we will have lunch at Pinnacle Rock and continue to the summit.
For more information, see: https://virginiatrailguide.com/2009/10/17/mount-rogers/
Please plan to meet at the Massie Gap Parking Lot in Greyson Highlands at 10am.
If you are interested in carpooling, please plan to meet at Bubbas BBQ at 7am in Huntersville, NC.